Idolatry
"Who shapes a god and casts an idol , which can profit him nothing"
Isaiah 44: 10
So I have a simple question to ask
you dear friend. Where is your satisfaction found? Is it in your amazing job? Is
it in your wonderful family? It is in your awesome spouse? Is it in the bank
sitting in a checking account? Where is your true and deep satisfaction found?
To find true
satisfaction is to find it in God. He wants us to find our satisfaction in Him
instead of wasting our time and energy on things that cannot satisfy because
dear one, when we look to other sources for satisfaction we are guilty of
idolatry. I am not saying we cannot enjoy the things of
life and find joy and pleasure in them but when we seek in them our true
satisfaction, we have turned that something into a
idol. I love how Isaiah says it.
Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare. -Isaiah 55:2
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare. -Isaiah 55:2
The answer for those
who have an inner thirst and hungry need only to follow Isaiah 55:6
“Seek the Lord while he may be found;
call on him while he is near”
I believe that God
creates and activates dissatisfaction in every person for a wonderful reason. I believe that 2 Peter 3:9 holds the answer to
this dissatisfaction that every person is plagued with.
“ The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance"
Beloved, the Lord
does not want anyone to perish. He wants everyone to come to repentance but He
gave us free will to make the decision of whether we accept His invitation or
not; however He did purposely create us with a need that only He can meet. If
you have not noticed from other friends around you, one of the most general
human experiences is the inability to be completely satisfied. Salvation alone
does not completely fill this need and many come to Christ searching for
something missing but after they receive His salvation they go elsewhere for
satisfaction. I can testify to that dear
one. Christians can be miserably dissatisfied if they accept Christ salvation
yet reject the fullness of a daily relationship with Him. He offers us so much
more than we typically choose to enjoy. Dear one, please know that discovering
dissatisfaction is not a terrible thing but a God thing. It is only a bad thing
when we do not allow it to lead us to Christ. He wants His children to find the
one source that will truly satisfy our thirst and fulfill our longing hunger in
our hearts. We must realize beloved that God desires for us to find genuine
satisfaction in Him. Settling for satisfaction with anything else is idolatry. I
realize that, that word might seem harsh but beloved, anything we try to put in
place where God belongs is a idol. I myself have been guilty of this more then
once. I have placed relationships, and
things above where the Lord’s rightful place should have been. True peace and
satisfaction in this world comes when we break free of this. Dear one, the void
that God created in us for Himself will require attention. Our natural craving
is to be filled so the moment that someone or something comes to meet that need
we feel an overwhelming temptation to worship it. Isaiah 44:20 states this so clearly I
think.
“ Such a person feeds on ashes; a deluded heart misleads him; he cannot save himself, or say, “Is not this thing in my right hand a lie? ”
I am speechless reading
this verse. How many times have I fed on ashes instead of feasting on the
powerful word of God? How many times has my deluded heart mislead me and told
me lies? Dear one I could cry right now just thinking about all the things I
have tried to hold on to and all the while they were lies. I finally have seen some of them were idols
in my walk with the Lord. Finally I have let Him open my hands and have
released the lies of “idols” I was holding on too. I have grasped His hands
since then and am walking with Him daily. I urge you brother or sister that
whatever you are holding on too, putting before God, and worshiping please
release it and find true glory and satisfaction in Him. He is the truth that
sets us free.. Open your hands and find satisfaction in Him.
“All of You is more
than enough for all of me. For every thirst and every need. You satisfy me with
Your love. And all I have in You is more than enough” – Enough by Chris Tomlin
Laura, I love this post. It made me think of the Jimmy Needham song "Clear the Stage." I too, can relate to placing relationships and other things in God's place but only when Christ became my superior pleasure did I find true joy, peace and satisfaction. I hope that others are encouraged by this as much as I was. Love you sis! -Brittany
ReplyDelete